I recently started toÂ look atÂ SQL Server Analysis Services to get a better understanding of the design and usage of OLAP cubes.
Unfortunately the development environment (Business Intelligence Development Studio) which is still based on Visual Studio 2008 kept on crashing on me for no obvious reasons. Being relatively new to the topic I obviously couldn’t judge whether the crashes where caused by my wrongdoing or something happening in the application itself. To my defence though, I shall say that apps shouldÂ terminate gracefully after a crashÂ instead of just disappearing from the screen. Just saying!
Whenever I opened Translations, Calculations or Perspectives in the Cube Designer my UI just disappeared from the screen, rendering those few features unusable.
At first, the big world of the wide web unfortunately didn’t yield any results until I tried to work with Cube Actions, where I was finally presented with an error message that helped me moving into the right direction:
Could not load file or assembly 'msmgdsrv, Version=188.8.131.52, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
Researching the error message I got a few pointers that explained how the issue would be solved for MDX queries affecting SSMS. However, it did not fix my issue with Business Intelligence Development Studio, which is built on top of Visual Studio 2008.
Looking at the syntax of the fix though I decided thatÂ if above fixes are applied to the ssms.exe.config, they should work equally well for the devenv.exe in customising the devenv.exe.config.
So in editing devenv.exe.config on C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE (your path may be different) I added the snippet belowÂ as an additionalÂ <dependentAssembly> element in the XML file (screenshot).
<!– CP 24/09/2012 added to fix missing msmgdsrv error –>
<codeBaseversion=“184.108.40.206“href=“C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Analysis Services\AS OLEDB\10\msmgdsrv.dll“/>
<!– end of customisation –>
Needless to say that this solved all the issues I encountered so far with the development environment as otherwise I wouldn’t have documented them here!